|| 2017 Book Reading Survey ||


2017 is officially over and gone and I could not be happier. It had its rare good moments, but most of the year claimed the title of "shittiest year of all time." Both my childhood pets passed away, and I spent the last part of the year mourning the loss of not only them, but the singer of my favorite band, who took his own life. So yeah, definitely not a stellar year. But my reading, thankfully, wasn't too bad, and I have a lot of fun stuff to talk about in this year's book survey! 

All questions came from the lovely Perpetual Page Turner, who does this every year. It's tons of fun and I can't recommend partaking in the survey enough. <3




number of books read: 71
number of rereads: 2
genre you read the most from: contemporary






1. Best Book You Read In 2017?
The Hating Game by Sally Thorne takes the cake for best everything this year (I promise this post features other books tho okay), followed up by Tash Hearts Tolstoy by Kathryn Ormsbee. Both are contemporary books which is so different from all my usual past year fantasy-genre favorites.

2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
*cue endless weeping over what could've been in The Becoming of Noah Shaw*
I wanted to love this one so much, and I was ecstatic to be approved for an e-arc of it, but it unfortunately fell so flat, and was filled with so much unnecessary angst. This was one of my most anticipated books for 2017 and I'm still highkey salty about what a disappointment it was. 


3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read?
The Becoming of Noah Shaw was surprising in a really bad way. It was one of my most anticipated reads for the year, and my excitement was peaked even higher when I was given access to an early e-copy of it. I ended up really disliking the plot, though, and the excessive amounts of unneeded angst between Mara and Noah. Like, maybe if you just,, sat and talked to each other,, we wouldn't need 300 pages of BS conflict? I feel like nothing of substance even happened in the book, and all the characters, Noah in particular, felt so out of character.
 
4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did)?
I'm guilty of convincing quite a few people to buy The Hating Game this year. It was like the Foxhole Court all over again.
*waves at kenzie + rey*


5. Favorite new author(s) you discovered in 2017?
-Angie Thomas
-Nic Stone
-Taylor Jenkins Reid
-Alice Oseman
-Cambria Hebert
-Elle Kennedy
-Scott Lynch

6. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?
New-adult is definitely out of my comfort zone (although I've recently developed an addicting fondness for it) and The Deal by Elle Kennedy completely knocked my socks off. The cover and the blurb are the most disconcerting things ever, and I was prepared for a major cheese-fest; but I was instead greeted with a really fantastic story with some great emotional depth regarding characters' backgrounds. It also featured a duo who I could not have adored/shipped more. Also, there was hockey. So needless to say, I loved it.

7. Book You Read In 2017 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
Take a wild guess.


8. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2017?
I didn't end up liking this poetry collection all that much, but I'm still absolutely in love with the cover for Honeybee by Trista Mateer. 

36206132

9. Most memorable character of 2017?
Gus from How To Be A Normal Person by T.J. Klune was one of the most memorable characters I've encountered in a while. He was so utterly weird + socially awkward, his best friends are his ferret and three old biker women, and the amount of sticky situations he got into because of his lack of a verbal filter never seemed to end. I love him so much.

10. Most beautifully written book read in 2017?
As if I could choose anything other than Strange the Dreamer by Laini Taylor. She's an absolute writing goddess, and this book was 10x better than her other trilogy.

11. Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2017?
I think all the books out this year that dealt with police brutality/race issues were definitely the most thought-provoking. Both The Hate U Give and Dear Martin provided such heartbreaking looks at events that have tragically become often in the U.S., and each definitely provided a lot of food-for-thought.

12. Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2017?
The shortest book read this year was the short story The Egg by Andy Weir at a grand total of 4 pages. And yes I counted it in my Goodreads goal. I was desperate. 
Longest book was The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch, at a whopping 722 pages. It was an absolute brick, but it became one of my new all-time favorites.

13. Best debut you read in 2017?
I honestly can't pick just one for this question.

-The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas
-Allegedly by Tiffany D. Jackson
-The Abyss Surrounds Us by Emily Skrutskie
-Dear Martin by Nic Stone
-bare roots by Molly S. Hillery

14. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read?
Queens of Geek and The Upside of Unrequited were two books filled to the brim with the most adorable fluff. I couldn't stop smiling at either of them, and both were filled with such fantastic humor.

15. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2017?
V.E. Schwab's A Conjuring of Light made me cry so hard that I was wheezing. I was an absolute mess. It was the most beautiful, emotional end to a series, and it broke my heart, but I wouldn't have wanted it any other way.

16. Hidden Gem Of The Year?
The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid has stuck firmly in my mind since I read it, and I still can't get over how little it is talked about in the book community. It's one of the most wonderfully inclusive books I've read this year (feat. a primarily LGBTQ+ cast, & a biracial, bisexual MC) and it was so elegantly crafted and gripping. It hurts my heart that more people haven't read it. 

17. Book That Crushed Your Soul?
Psshh, as if there was just one. A Conjuring of Light, of course, broke every last bit of my heart. A Man Called Ove (Fredrick Backman), Strange the Dreamer (Laini Taylor), and The Song of Achilles (Madeline Miller) were all equally heartbreaking, too. 



1. Favorite review that you wrote in 2017?
Tash Hearts Tolstoy is definitely my favorite, if only for all of the wonderfully kind and supportive comments I received on it. It was the first time I discussed being asexual, and it meant the world to me to see how sweetly receptive everyone was. 

2. Best discussion/non-review post you had on your blog?
I absolutely loved talking about the shift in my reading habits this year, and why I've begun to lean more towards adult/new-adult books. 

3. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?
I got to meet V.E. Schwab at the start of summer and it was absolutely amazing. She was such a sweetheart, and she laughed gleefully when I told her how much ACOL made me cry. The event was super fun, and she not only discussed a lot of interesting things about the in's-and-out's of book adaptations, but also mentioned Cillian Murphy and Pushing Daisies, which are kind of my two most favorite things in the world.

4. Most challenging thing about blogging or your reading life this year?
Honestly, just trying to stay out of book slumps and balancing school and blogging. I didn't expect to have such a heavy workload with school this year, but things have been absolutely crazy. I really want to focus on scheduling up posts for next year so that I can continue to keep Not Gary Cooper active.

5. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?
Ha, well. My original reading goal for the year was to get through 100 books, but it became obvious pretty quickly that that wasn't going to happen. I ended up dropping my goal a few times, finally settling on 70 books. I ended up completing the challenge, but I still feel mildly disappointed that I couldn't get through more. I really would love to read 100 books in a year. 



1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2017 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2018?
Okay look, I'm a liar, and basically everything I ever said I would totally get to this year...  I didn't. There's a long list of back-list titles I NEED to get through. Nevernight is probably the highest priority, as I'm already halfway through it. I just,,, still haven't ended up finishing it,,

2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2018 (non-debut)?
I'm super pumped for another new Shaun David Hutchinson book: The Apocalypse of Elena Mendoza. I love Shaun's books to bits and can't wait to see what he tackles in his latest novel. 

3. 2018 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?
*shrieks* LET'S TALK ABOUT LOVE. It's a new YA contemporary out in January, featuring a black, biromantic asexual main character and I am SO HYPED. There's a dreadful lack of asexual representation in YA books, and I'm really hoping this opens the gates to let more ace fiction through.

4. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2018?
I. CAN'T. WAIT. FOR V.E. SCHWAB'S VENGEFUL TO COME OUT. Vicious was one of my top reads this year, and I can't even express how much I love my pale haired boy Victor Vale. I'm ecstatic to finally get the end to his story, and knowing V.E. and her finales, I'm fully prepared to cry like a baby.

5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2018?
Finish 100 books, and continue to have a review up at least twice a month. I'd also love to work on squashing my fear of contacting publishers to request arcs. I've received a steady supply of electronic advanced copies through sites like netgalley, so I know I have the guts and stats to gain recognition. I just need to put my anxiety aside so that I can start contacting publishers directly. 








And there we go! An in-depth look at my 2017 reading year. Overall, it wasn't too bad. I found a few new favorites, and thankfully only encountered two books that I gave one star too. I didn't reach my original reading goal of 100 books, but 71 is still a large amount, so I'm happy with what I got done. 
^-^


I hope that you all are doing well, and that the new year is treating you well so far! I can't wait to see all the bookish content that comes out this year, and all the fantastic things the blogging community will create. 




LET'S CHAT! How did your 2017 reading go? If you set a Goodreads challenge, did you achieve it? How many books did you read, and what were your absolute favorites of the year? TELL ME ALL THE THINGS. 

Comments

  1. Adiiii! It's been too long! I'm sorry I haven't been around in eons. Damn, how things have changed.

    2017 was surely an.. interesting year. That's so sad about your pets -- I've got a few that are getting up there in years, and while I hope they've got lots of good time still left in 'em, the knowledge that they've probably spent more than they have left is quite a depressing thought. Least your beauties have all the freedom in the world, now. <3

    Anyway, that's a pretty impressive book survey considering everything else you've had going on! I hardly read anything new in 2017. Actually, might not have read anything new at all. :') The Lies of Locke Lamora I've heard is great (I seriously love the alliteration in the title)!

    Happy New Year, Adi. Hope it's a better, brighter, exciting one for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 70 BOOKS YOU ARE AMAZING.

    Also Angie Thomas, infinite yeses <3 I STILL can't believe the Hate U Give was her debut, it was more than fantastic.

    BECOMING OF NOAH SHAW NOOO, I can't talk about it without filling up with rage and sorrow :(

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I lowkey think our reading positions are going to be switched this year?? Like, I surpassed my goal of 100 books last year, and you had a hard time, but this year you're like 6 books ahead of schedule and I've somehow already fallen behind?? The heck?? @ my reading life: pls improve.

    WHALE, I think we both know my favorite books of this year were The Raven King and The King's Men. I just....I STILL CAN'T, ADALINE. It's been four years since I've reread a book, yet here I am rereading chapters of TKM and TRK almost every day.

    My dude, I know what you mean about Song of Achilles. I leant it to my friend and I think I broke him.

    Hmm. Do you think I would like The Deal? Your review has intrigued me, not gonna lie.

    ALSO: HUZZAH YOU HAVE RETURNED *THROWS CONFETTI*

    ALSO ALSO: have you listened to wilson (expensive mistakes) yet?? (honestly though, "I'll stop wearing black when they make a darker color".....did Andrew Joseph Minyard ghostwrite this.)

    Ellie | On the Other Side of Reality

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment